silviav8forums.com Forum Index

Hooker S13/S14 Mild & Stainless Steel LS Engine Swap Hea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Hooker/Holley EFI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s14blane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurentj23 wrote:
Do you all removed the steering shaft to install it?

Yes laurent. I take the ujoint out and move the steering shaft such that it doesn't impede the installation of hte header. It is much easier to tkae the steering column out though.

Blane

thegr8one013

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Method 2 Steering Column Removal Method:
If suitable to your mechanical skill level and tool selection, this method requires the same average time of install as Method 1 above,
but is less cumbersome to accomplish and provides a much lessened possibility of scratching the headers and/or vehicle components
during installation.
1. Check the side-to-side level alignment of the engine and adjust as needed; rotate the engine with a jack positioned at an off-center
bias position on either side of the bell housing.
2. Install the lock washers and nuts onto the bottom engine mount studs and tighten all engine and transmission mount hardware
completely

this is part of the header install directions and i dont understand what is being said here. i already removed the steering shaft but i have no idea what this means.

thegr8one013

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been 3 days trying to remove the passenger header. the steering shaft is removed and the engine is jacked up over to the passenger side and i still couldnt get it out. i even tried lowering the transmission and it was at about a 45 degree angle and it doesnt clear.

No matter what i try it keeps hitting the little nub on the steering rack that connects to the steering u joint

thegr8one013

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it! The steering shaft was already removed out. I had to unbolt the steering rack and disconnect the 4 lines attached to it. Then i jackedthe engine from the driver side of the pan. It went high enoughso that i could lift and slide tthe rack to the passenger side and that made enough room todrop it but what gets me mad is how cheap the paint is

boback1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have issues with the 1 7/8ths mild steel header hitting the starter. I'm using the msd aps starter and it hits the header. It's already on the last adjustment hole to rotate it closest to the block. I can't believe I have to hammer this header after I already spent $300 on it to get it coated so it doesn't rust.

[URL=http://s281.photobucket.com/user/boback1/media/B71B47C8-C8B0-49B3-A2B1-BDBBAEA1D10E.jpg.html][/URL]

boback1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is not a used header. I purchased it new from summit racing a month and a half ago.

s14blane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like you're using a factory starter my friend. Ours were designed on an engine with factory components. That starter is most likely suffering in this instance with a larger diameter case. Do you have a factory one to compare it to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Hooker/Holley EFI All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: