silviav8forums.com Forum Index

KameTrick 570SX - 91 240SX LS1 Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KameTrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: KameTrick 570SX - 91 240SX LS1 Build Reply with quote

Hello guys, I've been lurking on this site for some time considering what to do for a new project and finally decided it was time to make a post on here to start my build thread. I'd been going back and forth about what my next project car should be, what it's purpose should be, etc...

After considering upgrades to my current car or getting a new chassis I finally came back to a car from my youth: my 1991 Nissan 240SX. And as you can probably guess, I'm going to be dropping a V8 into it. I've had a street performance car, an autocross-dedicated "track" car, and both have their good points. With this build I want to bridge the gap to produce a clean, fun machine that has power and reliability and can be enjoyable whether I'm at an autocross, track day, drift event, or cruising the local backroads. I know from experience you can have a car that is BEASTLY in one category but just isn't exciting or enjoyable to drive anywhere else, so I'm going to compromise and aim to develop an all-around car that may not be the very best at any one event, but be damn fun to drive anywhere, in any style.

During this build I plan to lean heavily on all those who've done an LSX swap before me as there are plenty of small things I'll need help on, so please comment and share your insight! I'm at the very start of the build (picking up my motorset tomorrow) so until I have many details, I'll post up some backstory Smile

KameTrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no pics in post#1...I'll fix that now!

My 240SX was bought when it was probably 1 year old by my Dad, he wanted a fun car to drive on his commute to work, which crossed over mountains as he's in the coal industry. It is the car that I learned to drive a manual on, and really drew me into the world of cars and performance driving.
We'll start pics from when it more or less became "mine" in the late 90s. It probably had 80K on it at that point.

It was one of the cleanest S13's I'd ever seen and for the most part it still is, as Dad is a backyard mechanic and taught me everything I know about cars and DIY maintenance.

About the time I was finishing high school I began tuning it. It took forever to save the funds to do anything because I was only working part time at that point. I focused on suspension upgrades: Tein coilovers, Cusco strut bars, and Tein inner/outer tie rods with angle spacers.

Anyone remember these? They were replaced by the "Super Drift" line which is 10K/8K...these were 8K/6K and I think they were plenty stiff.

The car was sitting much nicer after the installs...although I never pushed for a super low stance my car could no longer get into parking garages as the nose would scrape.

I did all the work myself, most of the time in the back of a big parking lot hoping no one would ask me to leave, haha. Occasionally I was able to borrow Dad's or a friend's garage.

I began autocrossing in 2002 with the 240. By the time it had 140K on it I began getting the dreaded KA timing chain noise and had to do a rebuild of the timing equipment.

I never did any modifications to the engine because I always figured I'd go SR20 (this was back in 2001-2 when SR20 swaps were one of the only options ppl were doing)

After the suspension was on and I got accustomed to driving the car hard I began experimenting with drifting on the tight, technical low-speed autocross stage.

Some old video footage at:
Autocross Drift
Circuit Drift
Don't hate...this is a KA drifting in all it's 150 crank HP glory Shocked

In 2006 I focused on grip driving, and in 2007 I moved to Japan (I'd been taking Japanese courses in addition to my degree studies at university) for a 1 year study abroad where I was able to have all kinds of badass experiences:

Drifting at Sportsland Yamanashi years before the course was mentioned on Noriyaro (I want to go back after seeing Alexi's posts on it though!)

Seeing the 787B do hot laps at Fuji Speedway during the "Time Machine Festival"

Along with tons of other awesome historic machines

Attending Tokyo Auto Salon 2008 with a press pass thanks to a hook-up from Endless! Those guys are AWESOME!

And of course, attending D1GP events like this one at Fuji

To Be continued in part 2!
(Hope you guys enjoy the filler material until I can get on with my build Cool )

KameTrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, part 2 of filler material...then on to waiting for parts to arrive. Confused

So I got back from Japan and was finishing university. I normally have really good luck in most situations, but I seem to be cursed when it comes to cars and parking lots. I got up one fine morning and noticed my car was alot further from the curb than I remembered parking it. (I was parking on the street to avoid door dings from lazy neighbors)

Something wasn't right!
As I got closer I came upon a trash can on its side and royally demolished.

Evidently this guy valiantly tried to save my car from damage...

But ultimately failed. Crying or Very sad
I later learned that a resident's car had popped out of gear and rolled out into the street, catching my car and scraping a big red line of paint along the entire side of his. I was furious about this of course, but on the bright side the guy was honest and filed a police report so I was able to get cash for repairs. I put some of the money in the bank and the rest into an ATS & Across (now Carbonetic) 2 Way Carbon LSD.

I don't know why, but shortly thereafter I lost interest in my 240. I was heavy into autocross and it just wasn't a chassis that was ideal for what I wanted to do. I took a year and drove random friend's cars at autocross....including an 89 Civic Si (now my daily driver), a 2004 Subaru Impreza STI, and an 02 Corvette Z06. Trying a wide variety of cars at autocross was fun, however ultralight agility, world-rending AWD stability, and pure speed made me further disinterested in my 240. In the end I started looking for something smaller, lighter...

And found this about a year later in winter:

A 1985 AE86 GT-S (True GTS, not a converted SR5) with a 1988 MR2 supercharged 4AGZE motor. This thing was a blast to drive! At least as fast as my 240sx, but probably 600lbs lighter, these cars really drive like go-carts. The car had a pristine body, too.

I had moved to a new apartment complex in a new city, and parked near a curb, again to avoid door dings from neighbors. Unfortunately in my 2nd month of owning the car, still in winter, some idiot entered the parking lot too fast, lost control (it's a slight downhill) and plowed into my Corolla, ruining it thoroughly:

The car was pushed into the curb, bending the panhard bar about 45 degrees, shifted the axles about 3 inches to the right, pinned the tire to the unibody, ruined an axle link, cracked a taillight, and put a massive dent in the rear quarter.

This time the coward left the scene and I never found out who trashed my car. I had been debating doing a time attack/full autocross style build on the car anyway, and since the body had just been mangled up so nicely I decided to take the plunge, CBY style flares:

Suspension mods and various other parts, and of course the reason for the flares:

15x10 custom made wheels with 275/35/15 Hoosier A6's wrapped around them. This car was a BEAST!

It sort of looked like a small monster truck...

Later in the build, it gained a few more improvements and is easily one of the fastest autocross cars around for raw time. (Still have the car)

Some autocross videos:
Pre-tuning, first autocross
AE86 Autocross Onboard Cam
AE96 Autocross wheel cam: 3 wheel zero-countersteer drift!

After a few years with the Hachiroku I decided it was time for more power. As wicked as the car was at autocross, it was somewhat unimpressive anywhere else. Ready to take it to the extreme, I was considering a 1UZ swap into it, but for the high-traction driving I was aiming for I was certain both the transmission and axles wouldn't be able to hold the power on 275 autocross slicks. I debated the cost for months but in the end I couldn't justify spending the money to do a Ford 8.8 rear end, supra transmission, and 1UZ. It would be cheaper, better handling, and all around less headache to buy a better base platform. Which is where the story of my AE86 comes to a close. I'll keep good care of the car but probably sell it to put the funds back into this project down the line.

KameTrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after much debate about chassis I decided that pulling my 240SX back out of storage and going with a V8 swap was the path I wanted to take!

It was in storage for years in a barn in the country. There were some humidity issues and so the car was pretty gnarly when I pulled it out of storage at the end of last year. Mold had developed on some areas in the outside, most of the interior (later I discovered the sunshade was rotting away so cleaning that out wasn't so bad) and one of the rocker panels had developed significant rust. Additionally the paint on both bumpers had begin to peel.

After a good cleaning the outside and inside looked much better. I had a chance to drive the car and confirmed the brake master cylinder was shot, and the power steering rack/pump was leaking (it already had a bad leak when I put it in storage)

After researching replacement BMC's I ended up going with the Tokico model from FRSport as it seemed like the closest to the OEM spec. When I got it, I noticed it had a section of the body which had been conspicuously shaved down. Once I was able to compare it with the OEM BMC I'm pretty confident that the BMC was off the OEM tool with the "Nissan" section shaved off...I don't think you get much more OEM replacement than that. Smile

That install was straightforward, and with working brakes I could tool around in the driveway a bit and confirm that my ATS/Carbonetic 2 way diff still worked! Cool

Next I began work on the Power Steering assembly. I purchased a rebuild kit for the rack and pinion as well as the KA24DET pump, although the pump side was more for Dad, who expressed interest in using the KA in an old 70's Jensen Healey of his.

The rack rebuild is still ongoing...my plan is to install all new seals into it, but now that I've got it apart I'm not sure how well it will go, even with the FSM in hand. I'm all-in at this point, might as well give it a try. I wanted to keep this rack rather than purchase a remanufactured one, because it's a SuperHicas rack.

KameTrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my LS1 & T56 last weekend!
The motorset is an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro Z28, and while it has 110K on it, it's been completely unmodified all it's life.

Unfortunately, it did not come with an intake manifold, PCM, or wiring harness as the previous owner had sold a few bits before I learned he had the motor for sale. For the Manifold, I'll probably just find another LS6 intake to put back on it, and for the wiring harness I'm going to use the Wiring Specialties piece as it looks like a great bit of kit.

Taking the motorset home!

I'll have to find a PCM for an 02 Z28 in order to get the engine running, I don't plan to drop the cash to get a standalone system. Any tips on where to find one? I'm going to ask the local salvage yards I hit up when originally looking for an engine, they seemed to have a nice array of used components.

We are pretty much caught up to present in my build at this point. I live in an apartment and am performing the swap at my Dad's garage so I won't be able to work on it except for weekends, and probably not even each weekend. Confused I hope to have the car drivable by mid-April.

KameTrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad some folks are viewing the build...but it's kinda weird getting no responses so far. I guess that means I haven't done anything horribly stupid...evidently doing an LS1 into an S13 is too vanilla for 2014 lol. Rolling Eyes

Pulled the KA24DE out this weekend...I'd never done an engine pull in one of my cars (assisted with various stages on an AE86 and an Sti) and it was pretty easy, but fairly time consuming. I always work at a slow pace.

It's out! I'll have to begin cleaning the bay up a bit while I wait for parts to get in. I'm going to go the tried and true / no headaches route using a Sikky swap kit and Wiring Specialties harness.

It's out!

Anybody in the market for a KA24DE in central KY area? 180K and bone stock...autocrossed and drifted fairly gently...it's actually in pretty decent shape along with the 5spd Razz

All buttoned up and ready to hibernate until someone wants to give it life again...

KameTrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, are you all running a MAF sensor?

I heard if you don't use MAF the PCM uses speed density instead...? Looking for input. I have the MAF and am thinking I'll use it but I'd like to hear your experiences.

Beelzeboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted the MAF and am running speed density. Havn't done any tuning so far but seems to run OK since everything else on my setup is pretty much standard. I have HPTuners and have flashed the 1 bar speed density enhanced OS to the ECU.

BoostinIX
Lv2 Member
Lv2 Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooooooooo for Sikky and WS

KameTrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, guys! It's more fun to post and motivation stays higher when people chime in Wink

Placed my order for the Sikky complete kit and WS harness last night...woohoo! It begins!

The waiting, that is. Working on a list of stuff to acquire by the time the kit is in, looks like the header will probably be 3 weeks or so.

Still need:
Intake Manifold
PCM/ECU
New Slave Cylinder
New Fuel Pump
Fuel filter/line solution
Headerback exhaust solution (waiting till engine is in car)
Check condition of clutch & flywheel, probably buy new clutch

How does the Wix filter compare to Sikky's kit? Anyone know?

BoostinIX
Lv2 Member
Lv2 Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91FormulaKiller (IIRC) has 0411 pcm's a bunch on LS1tech. Intakes pop up all the time, that's easy. Slave can just get at GM.

Fbparts (fred beans) has gotten me most of the new GM parts at awesome prices.

Smevans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watching. I'm doing the same build but it will be slower than yours so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Keep it up!

MikeySand
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KameTrick wrote:
Thanks for the responses, guys! It's more fun to post and motivation stays higher when people chime in Wink

Placed my order for the Sikky complete kit and WS harness last night...woohoo! It begins!

The waiting, that is. Working on a list of stuff to acquire by the time the kit is in, looks like the header will probably be 3 weeks or so.

Still need:
Intake Manifold
PCM/ECU
New Slave Cylinder
New Fuel Pump
Fuel filter/line solution
Headerback exhaust solution (waiting till engine is in car)
Check condition of clutch & flywheel, probably buy new clutch

How does the Wix filter compare to Sikky's kit? Anyone know?

I have one of these for sale that I no longer have any use for, stock, and can be flashed for which ever vehicle sensor package you intend on using.

KameTrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update!
Last weekend I finished my rebuild of the power steering rack. It is a SuperHicas car, so I didn't want to buy a remanufactured rack and lose the quicker steering present on these rare S13's. So, now it has all new oil seals and o-rings and has been installed on the vehicle with new Energy Suspension poly bushings...time will tell if I botched anything or if it will run OK, I'm anxious to see.

I'm a big fan of full metal bushings, so I may end up changing over to the Parts Shop MAX offset bushings before I plumb the lines back into the rack...I'll have some more downtime to think over what I plan to do anyway.

We also did some more work on the chassis prep, removing some additional unneeded items, pressure washed the engine bay and underside, and loosened everything on the ABS actuator. I'm beginning to think I may finally change to 5-lug hubs or bigger brakes, which has me concerned that I won't be able to keep ABS functionality anyway...I might have to do some research on that.

Otherwise, we are still waiting on my parts from Sikky (Headers are backordered) and my harness from Wiring Specialties. I purchased everything through Yury @ WS, so far he's been great to deal with. I'm autocrossing my EF daily driver tomorrow with a good friend who was back in the US for a little bit (he's going to graduate school in Tokyo) so there won't be any progress on the car till next weekend. I'll try to get some photos together and toss up in the meantime.

Bad240sx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work man..im just trying to find time to finish mine. Motor, wire harness, headers, all on deck just waiting on me.SO KEEP US POSTED lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: