silviav8forums.com Forum Index

another ls1 240sx
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: another ls1 240sx Reply with quote

Just another ls1 s14 build I started with over 3 years ago. I consider myself more of a driver than a mechanic so this has been/still is a very large learning experience for me. So some of the things and mistakes I post may seem really dumb Very Happy

I got the S14 roller for 1200 including almost brand new ksport coilovers (of course the day I picked it up was one of the few days of the year it decided to rain in Southern California)

I found a 2000 Camaro SS that was coming up in an auto auction in San Diego so I decided to take a chance and bid online seeing only the pictures below and that it runs and drives, although they did not make any guarantees.

I ended up winning the bid and it ended up costing me 3k total shipped to my door. Luckily for me when it arrived it did run & drive (although drivers side door was not attached)
Turns out it was in an accident on the drivers side, not much damage to the car besides some scrapes along the driver side front fender and door.

I was able to part most of the car out and made about $2,500 back from everything I sold. You would be surprised how much people would pay for the SS model specific parts.

Anyways, after about a year of sitting on the side of my house I decided to pull the engine out.

It was pretty dirty but no major damage after tearing it all the way down.

Picked up a set of 243 heads and decided to try my hand at some porting...

probably not the best port job, but as long as I didnt lose much performance I will be happy Laughing

Went with an MS3 cam 237/242 should rumble pretty nicely

Upgraded the trunions with BTR kit

In between moving into our new house I had to pack everything up and take it over to my parents house for a month and a half. Which worked out in my favor since they had more garage space than my old 2 car garage.

Spray painted the engine bay

Finally got the engine ready to go back into the car

Then I got moved in to the new house and the first thing I did was epoxy the floor since I didnt have to do much prep work since it was new construction

It came out pretty good

The car at home in the new garage

ended up going with a psi standalone harness

Mocked up the pbm rear knuckle with wilwood hand brake caliper

Dropped the subframe to replace the bushings.... we could not get them out even using an air hammer/chisel and completely destroying the stock bushings.. eventually got them out using some heavy machinery.

Originally I got a taurus fan because I heard about how well they work but there wasnt enough room so I had to return it and went with the isis fan shroud setup which fits perfectly

Mounted the oil filter bracket and added a sending unit for pressure gauge

Im a pretty small person so I found a seat that would fit me

Mocked up with the intake. The filter rubs on the fan shroud a little so I might extend it out a little so it clears the radiator.

Steering rack was leaking alot after hooking up the lines so I had to pull that out and replace it. Wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, just had to lift the front of the engine a few inches to get it out. I bought the powered by max eccentric rack bushings since I was replacing it but they ended up not fitting with the ls1 oil pan...

Only thing left to get the car fired up is hooking up the fuel system and finishing the electrical.

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update.

New steering rack is in

Had the diff welded for now until I decide to buy a better lsd

Had some energy suspension subframe bushings lying around so tried putting them in... We had a hell of a time getting the stock bushings out even with an air hammer completely destroying the bushings they would not come out. Had to take it to my father in laws dealership to get them pressed out.

I think there was a piece we were supposed to keep after taking the old bushings out. I dont remember seeing any other pieces and it looked like just the bushing but everything was destroyed when we removed them. There is a gap once the subframe was installed and the subframe has movement up and down...

Im guessing this is what I am supposed to have to keep the frame from slipping down.

At this point I may have to go with some solid bushings. From what I understand you need to remove the ring to use those so they should work.[/img]

2muchboost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build so far bud. Is this going to be a track specific car? If nt j would suggest adding some heat barrier material somewhere. These puppies heat up the firewall and trans tunnel pretty fast and given your SOCAL weather and my TX weather it gets hot pretty quickly. I'm planning to add some Dynamat to floor board, behind dash, and around trans tunnel to help keep some of the heat under control.

rigid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anyone actually use the poly bushings in the subframe. The solid ones in my car do transfer a lot of noise with all the solid suspension links. But they do make a huge difference compared to worn out 20 year old rubber. Good choice on the fuel line crossover at the back. I had a hell of a time clearing the hood at the front.

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2muchboost wrote:
Nice build so far bud. Is this going to be a track specific car? If nt j would suggest adding some heat barrier material somewhere. These puppies heat up the firewall and trans tunnel pretty fast and given your SOCAL weather and my TX weather it gets hot pretty quickly. I'm planning to add some Dynamat to floor board, behind dash, and around trans tunnel to help keep some of the heat under control.

Yes it is going to be a track only build, I will probably lay down some heat barrier material once I get it up and running. I also plan on getting a heel plate so it will help with the heat on my feet.

rigid wrote:
I've never seen anyone actually use the poly bushings in the subframe. The solid ones in my car do transfer a lot of noise with all the solid suspension links. But they do make a huge difference compared to worn out 20 year old rubber. Good choice on the fuel line crossover at the back. I had a hell of a time clearing the hood at the front.

I tried to put the crossover up front first but the hose was a bit too short to clear over the manifold in the front but I guess it was for the better
Smile

Got some solid bushings and they went in without any issues.

Subframe back in the car and calipers mounted

Ended up mounting the fuel filter against the frame rail as high as I could get it.

I plan on running the fuel line through the wheel well as long as the tires dont hit. I am going to notch into where the body is stamped together to make sure the line stays flush against the body.

801nissan07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why didnt u just follow the frame rail into the engine bay for the fuel line?
i wouldnt want it to be in my wheel well especially after seeing what happens to inner fenders and the harness thats on top the wheel well. just my take on it but the rest looks great

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

801nissan07 wrote:
why didnt u just follow the frame rail into the engine bay for the fuel line?
i wouldnt want it to be in my wheel well especially after seeing what happens to inner fenders and the harness thats on top the wheel well. just my take on it but the rest looks great

Ive re-thought it out and will run it on the other side of the frame rail into the bay. I ordered some heatshielding material to help with heat from the exhaust/headers.

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some more progress on the car.

I installed my battery cutoff on the front passenger side cowel

I still have to cut a hole in the plastic cover and put it back on but it fit in the spot pretty nicely.

I made a makeshift cluster and plate for switch panel, waiting for the moroso switch panel to be delivered.

Started on the wiring. Plugged in the gauges and turned the the engine over to check oil pressure and prime it. It was holding at about 35 or so psi.

I also test fit a rim to see how the fitment would work. Not too bad looking considering they cost $400 total. Not sure if I am going to do overfenders or pull the fenders yet.

Close to getting it started and running, just need to wire up the switch panel / electrical, plumbing the coolant vent tube into radiator and flashing the pcm ( I bought HPTuners and have wideband, just have to learn how to use it...)

R_s14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far, almosted ready to start it.

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress, bought a switch panel and worked on the wiring for switches & gauges this weekend.

also got some tires & mounted them on the rear to check how much lower the PBM solid bushings and drop knuckles lower the car. Seems like it is going to sit pretty low once there is load on the shocks Smile . Going to have to roll and pull the fenders. Still waiting on front 5 lug rotors so i can put the front end back together. Also bought a wideband that I need to install when I get the exhaust made.

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, Ive been really busy but finally got the car running... Played with HPTuners and was also able to get it to idle.

Here is a video.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvXHyEKzwSs[/youtube]

dont know why the youtube wont imbed, here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvXHyEKzwSs

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small update.

Started mounting the relays & pcm.

Still have quite a mess of wires I need to try to clean up, I hate electrical.

Also drove the car for the first time through the neighborhood, car is currently so loud it set off someones home security system and the police were circling overhead in a helicopter when I pulled into the garage.

Video: https://youtu.be/S04ELkBhrBc

jdskin
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slacking on the updates but finally got it out for my first event last weekend.

Here are some pictures of the stainless dual 3" exhaust with cross pipe (welded a bung for wideband in the middle of crosspipe) I had fabbed by the muffler man in Placentia.

Video of how the exhaust sounds at idle: https://youtu.be/2LautfaU-0k

installed summit racing coolant overflow can

Got the car tuned over at Cunningham motorsports, ended up right below 400 whp.

how it sounds while driving: https://youtu.be/011QIT0GwU0

I learned alot from my first event and going to make a few changes and hopefully keep improving.

I still need to get the cage welded in (it was a pain using the stock belts with the race seat because the belt kept locking and I would have to unbolt it from the bottom mount each time to release enough slack for it to reset), new wide fenders, angle kit, eventually some paint or vinyl work so it doesnt look like complete ass.

2muchboost

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results for minimal upgrades.

devo
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking build!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: