silviav8forums.com Forum Index

Shaggy Chassis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Shaggy Chassis Reply with quote

Alright, well, I've hit a lull in my build and I figure it's time to start a build thread.

Hello, all!
My name is Jake! I like exclamation points! But that's not important.

Let's start with the car...the car that I have no pictures of before I started the build.:tardrim:
wow. going through my photos I realize that I have gone through 3 phones since I've had this car and have not backed up any of the images from them.
This build thread is off to a great start.

Picked the car up in April 2014 as a birthday present to myself. Immediately got to work doing little shit like bushings, sway bars, new carpet, stereo, and new springs/shocks.

Then after a few months I wanted to paint the engine bay, then though, well, as long as I'm painting the engine bay I might as well do tubs because they look awesome, and as long as the engine is out I might as well rebuild it....

Annnnnnd that's when I got in over my head. The motor was pulled, the engine bay was stripped of paint, and then, I wrecked my friend's S13. Caused damage to his core support, broke his headlight, and fucked his fender and bumper all up. So, being the good broke friend that I am, I gave him all my parts. I even gave him my vlsd and 1 piece driveshaft because of how shitty I felt. This put my progress at a major standstill. But, we did get to rattle can my friend's car (His name is Ryan, and I should probably start giving him more credit because he has been a tremendous help in the build process. Thanks, Ryan!) His car used to be a crappy faded black

[IMG]https://imgur.com/a/O6wlv[/IMG]

Went to Japan for a few months. Saw a bunch of cool shit. Again, barely have any pictures to show for it.

Came back in September of 2015 to this:

Before my stay in Japan I had picked up an LS1/T56 to put into the chassis. There are pictures and vids somewhere of me doing a bunch of donuts in the firebird that the motor came from but, I suck at keeping that stuff and who knows where it is now. Plus, that car fucking sucked anyways and I'm glad it's gone. I sold that rolling shell for $100.
-anyways-

When I got back i wanted to get started on the tubs and paint.

i wish there was a way to just clear coat over this bare metal. that would have been cool.

Painting is hard work!

all this was followed by coating the crossmember, trans tunnel and wheel wells with por15, and installing a DIF steering shaft bushing. Also picked up some S15 seats (not the spec r but still way better than the stock s13 seats!)

more on the next post!

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Getting the motor settled Reply with quote

I don't have too many pics of the motor when the pan was off, but the hone marks were still fresh on the cylinder walls, and it looks like a very healthy motor. One thing that disappointed me was that after I did a bit of research i realized that I had picked up a bit of a lemon. The firebird donor car was originally a V6 that had a 98 corvette LS1 (according to the casting number). Not really a lemon, i guess, but there were so many improvements on the LS from 99-04 that I was kind of kicking myself for not doing more research prior to picking up the motor set.

I went with the fueled kit, and wow. Top quality stuff from those guys, and if there ever was an issue, then Todd was super helpful.

ran into a bit of trouble with this pickup tube not sitting flush with the pan. sent a message to Todd and he shipped a new one out right away.

new one sits much better

oil pan stud kid is boss!

looked like a good time to switch out the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel

it's good to have friends!

yeah, that thing didn't fit. switched to a stock shifter, going to change to an MGW shifter down the road.

clearance looks good to me!

going to be adding some heat shielding material between the header collecters and floor pan.

I tried ordering some DEI header wrap but they won't ship to california.
just one more thing that makes me miss Texas.

more tomorrow!

rigid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEI makes some special stuff for the floor. They call it "tunnel shield" , I have it above my cats and it blocks the heat from them.

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some heat reflective material from thermo-tec, as well as some "reflect-a-gold" tape from DEI, i just haven't got around to putting it on yet. I checked out that tunnel shield and it looks pretty similar to the product I have from thermo-tec. I'm not sure how well the adhesive back will stick to the bottom of the floor pan; I would really like to find some sort of heat barrier that I can apply on the inside of the car. Shopping around some hot rod shops today, I was able to find some header wrap, but none that looked as quality as the stuff from DEI, which won't ship to Cali....

I've really been slacking on adding more pictures to this build thread. Hell, i've been slacking on this build. there's a bunch of little things that i think have worked nicely, but there's just as many little things that I need to fix. This car hasn't ran since August, 2014!

I just ditched my hinson dual pass radiator. It looked great when it came out of the box, but it was giving me way too many fitment issues. I'm waiting on a mishimoto KA rad, mishimoto shroud and fans, mishimoto overflow tank, and a 3 piece cooling panel kit from NRG.

i'm at the point where i'm just waiting for my harness, cooling, and battery relocation components to arrive and it should be ready to fire up!
really need to get to the garage and take some pics...

found a video of my car before I pulled the engine out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cq4qUk_oz0

Skeeter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Just received my fueled kit

racebreads13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of headers did you go with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8"? How low does the header hang under the frame? I'm trying to decide on which swap kit to go with and it seems like the FR headers sit a little bit higher than the Sikky also I like the stainless construction of the FR headers.

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeeter
I don't mean to ride Fueled's dick (i do, though), but their shit is quality, and 100% american made.

racebreads13

I have the 1-3/4, but i'm not shooting for 500hp or anything crazy. Just torquey reliability Smile

I'm resizing a bunch of pictures i took today, and i have one of the headers next to the frame rail. it will be in the next post!

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so after we got the motor in, i started on the little things.

Picked up a bunch of stuff from Heatshield Products.

Pretty much anything that's near the headers has some sort of heat protection. the fuel delivery line and brake line that run along the frame rail have this protective heat shield. I was also able to use the existing brackets for the brake/fuel lines to support the new AN/braided stainless line

Was able to find a couple of brackets for plumbing line to secure the fuel feed and return lines above the subframe. not bad for 79 cents!

mounted the fuel filter using a bolt from the existing fuel line bracket.

Quick question: on the corvette fuel filter, which port is the feed and which port is the return? The way i have it plumbed up now, the port where my finger is touching is connected to the pressure side of the fuel pump.

mounted a big ass oil filter

replaced the old power steering pump with a NAPA pump and a turn one pulley. boy do i love new parts!!!

being that i had one of the first year LS1's, my engine came with a return fitting on the fuel rail, and instead of spending $100 plus on an LS6 style rail (they came without a fuel return fitting), i just spent a flat $200 at JEGs for these Holley fuel rails with AN everything! my whole fuel system is done with AN fittings and lines now.

unfortunately, the hinson rad didn't work out for me, but this mishimoto is a true bolt in! i used the s14 brackets for a cleaner look.

the only thing left on the cooling system is the shroud, fans, and overflow tank (all mishimoto (hard to beat a lifetime warranty for those prices)). unfortunately, when i was shopping on FRsport, the website listing everything as in stock, but they sent me an email saying that a couple of the products were on backorder and wouldn't ship for the next two weeks.

here's the clutch master and line. i forgot to tighten down the bleed line when i first got the motor in, which meant the trans had to come off... i was able to pull the transmission off without pulling the motor. it was fun! Evil or Very Mad

i have a couple suggestions for the fueled kit (if you happen to come across this thread, todd)
you guys include heat protective sleeving for the clutch and power steering lines, but not the oil lines. i'd like to see you guys include heat protection for the oil lines.
and a banjo fitting would fit much better here. it may fit better on an s14, but it knocked off a bit of paint here.

here's a picture of the headers next to the frame rail. there is room for adjustment of the headers where it bolts up to your heads, but i prefer a little breathing room between the floor pan and collecters.

here's the thermo-tec heat shield. it has a pressure sensitive adhesive. once it's on it really sticks!

picked up a conversion shift lever from hawksthirdgen.com, designed to run a 5th gen ZL1/1LE shift knob on a 4th gen T56. it's a super comfortable fit, and sits at a good height, but it was designed to fit on a camaro/firebird.

in the picture below, the shifter is in the reverse position (all the way to the right and up). when the shifter is in first gear the knob rubs against the handbrake.

i need to find a way to reposition the shift lever so that the knob sits more centered in the console. i either need to make a bracket to fit or heat up the lever and try and bend it.

i'm still undecided on what to do with fuseboxes.

i think i can mount the driver side box here-

and the passenger side box here-

all the wiring is done on the driver side interior, new axles installed, driveshaft on, new output shaft seal on the trans, and filled up with fluid, the wiring harnesses in the fender wells, headlights wired up...

i think all i have left is to finish the cooling system, mount the fuse boxes, hook up the engine harness, and run the battery cables and it should be ready to rock! unfortunately i'm going out of town for a few weeks starting on the 10th, so there won't be any updates for a while. but when i get back, everything should be ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been slacking on the updates, but not much has been happening. waiting on parts. pushed the car out so i could clean the garage. had a chance to snap some pics in half decent light.

then the sun came out! threw on my new stb and got some more pics. the sun really brings out the metallic.

should be able to make a big post this weekend. i have almost everything i need for the battery relocation:
battery has already been mounted in the trunk with an Artec box.
have 2awg going to run to a 100A circuit breaker, then 2awg going to a distribution box in the bay where it will split into 3 sections of 6awg going to the starter/alt/fuse box.

have nearly everything for my intake setup sans filter and IAT sensor. i'm not sure where the stock one went. i know i'm definitely going to have to buy a new one, but i'm unsure if i will need to weld a bung for it into my intake tube or if i can just use a rubber grommet (i've seen a few people use it (i'm not going to boost it anytime soon))

wiring harness should be done this weekend, which is when i'll finish the battery wiring as well.

also have my dakota converters for the tach and speedo. i'm electrically challenged, and even though i've read a dozen threads on the install process, i feel like i still need to do more research before i try the install.

still need to fix the shifter, and mount the overflow tank and fuse boxes.

so exciting!

slowman
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine bay looks good!

devo
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous, looks like a great build

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit! I heard my car start for the first time since August 2014! It runs on its own power, no leaks, and sounds beastly!

The wiring looks hideous right now, and I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with an Apexi or HKS muffler. I've ordered vibrant 3" piping and mandrel bends already; those will be joined at a y pipe to a single exit exhaust. I have a friend who can mill me a bracket for my 1LE shifter, but I still need to do the Dakota conversions for the tach and speedo (more wiring, hooray!)

Startup video and more pics soon!
Happy 4th of July everybody!

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

intakehoses.com is a great place to shop.

finally gave the car a bath

then went to my buddy's shop to get the exhaust finished!

i couldn't be more pleased with the way it turned out. i love the way it sounds.

if that doesn't work for you here is the link to the youtube vid

https://youtu.be/a86RxhAYDIU

i'm not to happy with the harness right now so i ordered a WS harness; that should be here in a few days.

I"m having an issue with my fuel system dumping fuel into the combustion chamber after i remove the key. when i go to start it up the engine revs at a very high rpm then slowly comes down to idle. i was also having an amperage draw coming from the interior light fuse.

i mistakenly hardwired the fans into the accessory wire on the steering column (the solid light blue wire) instead of the ignition, and my fans stay on for about five seconds after the key is removed. trying to figure out why both my fuel pump and fans stay on after the key is completely removed from the ignition.

other than that i love driving the car. it's been almost two years since i've driven it. there is still some noises i'm trying to find the source of.

next is to start cleaning up the wiring, get coilovers, wheels, install my z32 brakes, and finish the sound system.

btw, if anyone is selling a DOHC cluster and/or s13 front fender liners, i'm in the market for some!

shaggyjake
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. been a while since an update. I made some progress on the car since july. Did a lot of driving/hooning through the canyons near snake/stunt. Found some areas that need some tending to. Unfortunately i'm in japan until april so it will have to wait.

Picked up an S15 HLSD. that thing is awesome. my only issue with my rear end currently is that i'm shifting way too much in the canyons and drag racing, and i would like to get a little bit better mpg. Yesterday i ordered a S15 pumpkin with the 3.69 gears in it. Looking forward to that.

My coolant and IAT's are way too fucking high. after one uphill run my temps are seeing 215-220 degrees and my IAT's are close to 150 at idle after a run. I moved my intake filter under the driver fender and wrapped the intake piping with heat reflective tape. When i get back to the states i plan on getting the headers ceramic coated and possibly even wrapping them after that to keep the exhaust temps down.

I'm also looking at a koguchi power hood to help with the flow of air through the radiator, and possibly a custom, tucked, dual pass radiator to replace my mishimoto/dual fan/ shroud combo.

Considering a swirl pot setup for the cooling system as well. but i still need to do a lot more research.

Anyone hear use their car as a daily/ grip car?
i'm torn between ordering custom rate coils from ground control or fortune auto. i currently have tokico blues with eibach springs with a 4kg front/ 3kg rear spring rate. i would like a tad more stiffness to help reduce roll and i would definitely like the adjustability of coils. still unsure on what spring rates i want.

List of shit to get done in 2017:
-upgrade cooling system
-install LS6 intake.
-get headers ceramic coated, possibly wrapped.
-install z32 front and rear brakes.
-order custom rate FA500 coils or Ground Control Coils
-transfer HLSD to s15 pumpkin with 3.69 gears (and will likely have to get my driveshaft shortened)
-find a set of wheels to fit 265/275 rubber under the stock metal in the rear, and 235/245 up front.

Oh! I ordered a wiring specialties harness and that thing is super sweet. just need to finish tucking the rest of the chassis harness and find a place to mount the ECM and put my glovebox back on. (i also have a pair of leather driving gloves that i'm excited to put in my glovebox. hell, i might even buy a scarf)

i'm terrible at embedding videos so here is a link to a quick burnout video after i got the HLSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYWEi8N-SuM

Excited to get back and do some work!!!

DCRPRZ
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same engine. I might have missed it but what throttle did you switch to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: